Vietnamese Sauce for dipping
Perfect for Bun Cha or any dish that requires a sweet fish dipping sauce
I normally double this recipe when feeding the family and would triple it when feeding a crowd.
1 Cup Water, kettle boiled water*
½ Cup Raw Sugar
¼- ½ Cup Lemon Juice*
¼ Cup Vegan Fish Sauce (I use Red Lotus Vegan Fish Sauce - it's the best! other brands won't taste as good!)
2-3 Cloves Garlic, minced*
1 small Carrot, grated*
A small piece of Daikon Radish, grated*
Fresh Chili/Cayenne pepper (optional)
1. In a large mixing bowl, add boiling water and sugar, stir well to dissolve.
2. Once sugar has dissolved, add all other ingredients, mix well, taste and adjust if necessary.
*Add more or less lemon juice according to personal preference. I like it with only a ¼ Cup lemon juice, but hubby prefers ½ cup, so we compromise by me only using ¼ cup in making the sauce and hubby would squeeze more into this own bowl upon serving.
* I like to use this sauce to lightly coat my salads/food, and I find it has the perfect balance of flavor as it is. Although if you're like my hubby and likes to drawn your salads/food with this sauce, then I recommend you add an extra 2-3 tbsp of water to dilute it a little (start with less and add more according to your taste).
* Add more/less Carrot according to preference.
* Daikon Radish goes very well in this sauce, so please make sure you add them in, I just didn't have any at the time.
* Add as much finely chopped garlic as you like, you can never have too much!