Vegan Sour Cream
I normally double this recipe:
1 cup raw cashews, preferably soaked
1.25 cups Light Soy Milk
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp water
5 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp Raw Sugar/Maple Syrup
1/8 tsp Xanthan Gum (add at the very last minute)
1. Add all ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until very smooth for a good 2-3mins.
2. Add Xanthan Gum and continue blending until the cream thickens up a lot more. I usually continue blending for another 4-5mins until I hear a change in the sound of how the cream blends. The sound will shift from a fast liquidly sound to a slower thick creamy sound, and that's when you want to stop the blender and the consistency of the cream should be perfect.
3. Transfer to a glass jar, use a specular to scrap everything out. The cream will thicken up further when cooled.
4. Before serving: Give the cream a good stir in the jar to loosen it up. This will return it to the creamy, velvety consistency that we want.
5. To serve - dollop over borsch soup or lentil soup/stew or any other soups, hay stacks or anything else that calls for sour cream. Delicious!
Keeps for 1 week in the fridge.