Tumors and Cancers
TUMORS (including Fibroids)
SYMPTOMS—Tumors, swellings, or growths on the body. They seem to contain solid or semifluid material and be abnormal in their growth.
CAUSES—When something has no apparent reason to be growing, it is growing abnormally. These structures are called tumors. They can be either benign or malignant (cancerous). Malignant tumors spread to other parts of the body; whereas benign ones generally do not spread.
Fibroids are tumors which most often occur in the uterus. Hysterectomies are done to remove them. But the effect of a hysterectomy on a woman's hormonal system can be devastating. Avoid them, if at all possible.
Diet and environment are special causes of tumors. Changing both can reverse the process, and even eliminate these strange growths.
It is best to eliminate them, whenever possible. Even the benign ones, although small, may later become cancerous.
• The body uses tumors as containers to store toxic waste collected throughout the body, when the system's natural ways of elimination are overloaded: the lungs, bowels, kidneys, liver, and skin. But when these channels of elimination become clogged or inadequate to care for the excess refuse, then the body starts manufacturing garbage cans (tumor cases) and placing the waste products in them.
• A physician can cut, burn, chemical, or radiate away the garbage can and its contents; but soon the body will manufacture more of them!
• The solution is to change your way of life. A complete change of diet is needed, along with improved ways of eliminating waste from the body.
Three simple steps treatment:
(1). First step is to stop all sugar intake, without sugar in your body, cancer cell would die a natural death. (2). Second step is to blend a whole lemon fruit with a cup of hot water and drink it for about 1-3 months first thing before food and cancer would disappear, research by Maryland College of Medicine says, it's 1000 times better than chemotherapy. (3). Third step is to drink 3 spoonfuls of organic coconut oil, morning and night and cancer would disappear, you can choose any of the two therapies after avoiding sugar.
SYMPTOMS—The most common symptoms of cancer: any sore that does not heal on the skin, mouth, tongue, or lips. Any irregular or unusual bleeding or discharge from any body opening. A persistent change from normal in the action of the bowels or bladder. Any persistent lump or thickening in breast or anywhere on the body. Hoarseness or nagging cough. Difficulty in swallowing. Persistent indigestion or loss of appetite, especially if accompanied by loss of weight. Sudden or rapid changes in the form, appearance, or rate of growth of a mole or wart or if it bleeds. Fatigue. To the basic eight cancer signs, listed above, we are adding three others which are important: any condition which does not respond to treatment, inflammation from blood clotting (thrombophlebitis), and putrid intestinal gas.
Skin cancer: A lump under the skin, moles which change color or size and have raised edges, an ulcer which does not heal, flat sores, lesions which look like moles.
Mouth or throat: Chronic ulcer of the mouth, tongue, or throat which does not heal.
Larynx: Persistent cough and hoarse throat.
Lung: Persistent cough, bloody sputum, and chest pain.
Breast: Lump which is hard, does not go away, and does not move; inflammation or thickening of the skin. (See "Breast Cancer" for more signs.)
Leukemia: Whiteness of skin, weight loss, fatigue, repeated infections, easy bruising, nosebleeds.
Stomach: Indigestion and pain after eating.
Bladder and Kidney: Blood in urine and increased urination frequency. Bloody urine is generally not a cancer symptom, but it can be.
Ovaries: Usually there are no obvious symptoms until later stages.
Endometrium: Bleeding between menstrual periods, unusual discharge, painful periods, heavy periods.
Cervical and Uterine: Bleeding between periods, unusual discharge, painful periods, heavy periods.
Prostate: Weak or interrupted urine flow; continuous pain in lower back, pelvis, and/or upper thighs.
Testicles: Enlargement of a testicle, lumps, thickening of scrotum, sudden excess of fluid in scrotum, mild ache in lower abdomen or groin.
Colon: Blood in stools, rectal bleeding, changes in bowel habits (diarrhea and/or constipation).
Lymphoid Tissue: Enlarged, rubbery, lymph nodes; itching; night sweats; unexplained fever and/or
Venereal disease can lead to breast, cervical, uterine, and prostate cancer.
• Avoid contact with sick pets. Actually, you would be wise to not have any dogs or cats inside the home.
• The following can also lead to cancer: too much sunlight (skin cancer); mechanical, physical, or chemical irritation; prolonged irritation of warts, pimples, or sores (skin cancer); and radiation
• The clothes should have no constricting bands and should keep the neck, head, arms, legs, and feet warm. As many layers of clothing should be worn on the extremities as are worn on the trunk. This is especially important in cancer of the breast or skin.
• A biopsy is a thin slice of tissue, taken to examine it for possible carcinoma (cancer). But, when the slice is made, the cancer (if any) stored in that area, can immediately begin spreading throughout the body.
• X-ray, radium, and other forms of radiation therapy, along with chemotherapy, weaken the body
and intensifies the toxicity and weakened conditions initially producing the cancer. The cancer generally returns with 6 to 12 months in greatly strengthened form.
• Here is a brief list of some of the significant factors leading to cancer: Chemical additives in food, refined and fragmented food, use of nicotine and/or alcohol, a heavy protein diet, excessive use of dairy products, commercial oils and fats (especially when heated and reheated), all grease, hydrogenated oil (added to many foods), diethylstilbestrol, hormones, contraceptives, nitrates (often added to food), medicinal drugs, hard drugs, monosodium glutamate (in food and tobacco), refined sugars, saccharin and other artificial sweeteners, biopsies and other forms of surgery, pollutants (occupational and environmental), X-rays and radium exposure, cosmetics, detergents and soaps, water (chlorinated, fluoridated, or contaminated), and aluminum.
Jethro Kloss said that his cancer cure was correct food, herbs, water, fresh air, massage, sunshine, exercise, and rest. Yet some famous medical dictionaries say nothing about diet in cancer treatment, except to keep the diet under 2,000 calories. The truth is there is a close relationship between the food we eat and what happens in our bodies.
• Meals, bedtime, periods of study, etc. should be according to a regular schedule. Avoid noise, smog, television, worry, stress, and confusion. Do some reading every day. Reading in God's Word, accompanied by simple trustful prayer brings healing to heart, soul, and body.
• Dr. Josef Issels' cancer clinic, in Germany, is an example of a well-rounded program. In addition to other things mentioned in this book, he prescribes plenty of rest, complete freedom from worries and mental stress, and plenty of fresh, pure air day and night. To the degree the patient is strong enough for it, and as he improves, there is lots of exercise and walking.
• Some, in a position to do so, may wish to move to a warm, unpolluted climate (any left?) where fresh air and sunshine is continually available. Build up the system with good food, exercise, and rest.
Cancer is less prevalent in physically active people, so exercise is important.
• Obtain plenty of exercise. Fresh air has remarkable healing, strengthening properties. God gave it to us for a purpose. Let it cleanse the lungs, purify your blood, and tone up your organs.
• Do deep breathing exercises. Take 20 deep breaths, hold each one for several seconds, and then slowly exhale. Exhale to full compression, and then inhale again. Do this several times a day—always outdoors. This, along with outdoor walking, will help clean the lungs.
• Soviet scientists demonstrated that a complex link exists between cancer and not breathing deeply enough or breathing stale air too much. One researcher in the Western world said that forced deep breathing, out of doors, at least 3 times a day to the point of dizziness, will help furnish an ample supply of oxygen.
• It is well-known that cancer cannot live in an oxygen-rich environment.
• (Many researchers seem not to be aware of the negative ion factor. Breathing deeply out of doors supplies both oxygen and negative ions to the body. Negative ions provide a much-needed electric charge needed by the nerves.)
• If at all possible, sleep in a room that receives sunlight during the day. It has been scientifically
proven that patients' rooms on the north side of a building have more disease germs on the floor and furnishings.
• The bedroom should be properly ventilated at all times.
Keep the eliminative organs active. The five primary ones are the lungs, the skin, the liver, the
kidneys, and the bowels. Add to this a sixth: the lymphatic system. Add to that a seventh: the immune system, working together with the white blood cells, the T-cells, and vitamin C. (Vitamin E also purifies and detoxifies, but it carries on this function in the liver.)
• The first step is to cleanse the blood by relieving constipation, making all the organs of elimination active, and keeping them active. Take herbal laxatives or enemas.
• A daily bowel movement is essential, even if an enema or colonic is required. All foods which
ferment in the bowel should be avoided. Absolutely no meat or fish!
• Bowel movements need to be complete evacuations, even if enemas are necessary. The cleansing program is releasing so many toxins, it is important that they be flushed out. Enough water must be drunk every day.
• If necessary, keep the bowels clean with herbal laxatives or enemas. When the body is toxic, the bowels become sluggish; waste matter is reabsorbed by the blood and lymphatic system, which is circulated throughout the body and stored in tumors or other trash sites. It is best that you not use these over a long period of time.
• Many aspects of cancer therapy, including chemo and radiation therapy, pain killers and sedatives, reduce muscular contractions in the intestines, resulting in constipation. Sometimes physical assistance is needed. Using the flat side of your fist, gently massage with rocking motions, pushing about 1-2 inches. Be gentle and slow! This not only helps reduce constipation, but increases muscle tone.
Coal tar dyes are highly carcinogenic. All artificial colors, flavors, and odors are made from coal
tar. You will find them in all soft drinks, cosmetics, and many medicines. Foods which have bright colors, strong flavors, or odors often have coal tar in them. (The FDA lists thousands of approved food additives. The more natural and unprocessed the food is, the less likely it is to have additives. Junk foods are the worst.)
• Research has shown that cyclamates, an artificial sweetener, will in later years cause cancer of the stomach and other digestive organs. Ditto for saccharin.
• Food additives like MSG, BHT, BHA, DES, and others are poisons. Read the labels carefully. Keep in mind that many harmful food additives are not listed on the labels because the FDA considers them to be "Generally Regarded as Safe" Those chemicals you will find in the FDA GRAS List. But that does not mean they are safe!
• Diethylstilbestrol (Des) has been shown by the FDA to cause cancer of the uterus, breast and other reproductive organs. This is an artificial sex hormone widely used in food production. Dangerous residues of stilbestrol are in 85% of all the meat sold in the United States. This is the main reason why 15 countries around the world now refuse to import American meat; 21 nations have a total ban on the use of stilbestrol in food production or processing.
• Nitrosamines cause cancer of the liver, stomach, brain, bladder, kidneys and several other organs. Dr. William Lijinski, of the University of Nebraska, says they are "perfect carcinogens." When chemical preservatives and color enhancers are ingested, they cause the body to produce nitrosamines. Another source is nitrates and nitrites, which are heavily added to meat during processing. Runoff of nitrates and nitrites from fields sprayed with chemical fertilizers get into aquifers and wells and, when the water is drunk, can lead to cancer.
• Yes, aluminum cookware is a type of "food additive!" Throw it all away. It is poisonous to your
body. It is outlawed in Sweden; outlaw it in your kitchen. Aluminum is a poison, and also a relatively soft metal. Particles of it gradually melt into the food you are cooking. That is why it remains so shiny inside!
Use only stainless steel or glassware for cooking.
• Be very careful that you rinse all the soap off your dishes and pots, or you will have added an
additional chemical "food additive" to your next meal.
Avoid chemicals such as hair sprays, all other aerosol products, fresh paints, garden pesticides,
cleaning compounds and waxes, insecticide strips, mothballs and crystals, etc. Anything unnatural.
• Dr. Max Gerson would not allow his cancer patients to dye their hair while recovering from cancer.
• Old-fashioned soap is all you need to disinfect, but when hexachlorophene is added to that soap, the soap becomes more deadly. Widely used in maternity and other hospital wards, as well as in cosmetics and deodorants, "hex" is a powerful cancer producer.
• Chemicals encourage the formation of free radicals in the body, which may lead to cancer. Do not be around or use chemicals. The body has to work to throw off the chemicals, when it should be attacking the cancer cells.
• Exposure to certain chemicals, such as benzidines, aniline dyes, and napthalenes, tends to promote development of bladder and kidney cancer.
• Exposure to asbestos, nickel, chromates, pesticides, herbicides, and radioactive materials induces lung cancer.
• Aflatoxins (found especially in peanuts and soy sauce) must be avoided.
• Avoid amines (which are in cheese, meat, and unrefrigerated foods).
• Antibiotics predispose to cancer. This would include tetracycline, penicillin, aspirin, diuretics,
immunosuppressants, Azolid, Butazolidin, Presamine, Tofranil, Sk-Promine, Tapazole, Methotrexate, antihistamines, amphetamines, Atromids, etc.
• Aspirin inhibits lymphocytes (white blood cells) which are crucially needed in immunological
• No medicinal drugs ever healed anything; it is nature which heals. Drugs are given to shock the body into healing itself. A poison is introduced, and this rouses the body to a supreme effort to throw off the poison. The result is generally a weakening of body organs, a transfer of the site of disease to a different location, and sometimes a smothering of symptoms—till a later, more deadly, form emerges.
• The taking of birth control pills, estrogen, and other female hormones is damaging to the body. A later result can be cancer. One anticancer physician (Gerson) found that the only cancer patients he could not recover were those who were taking hormones or who had damaged livers.
• The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported (May 1972) that pregnant women who take hormones can result in cancer in their daughters when they enter their teens. The rate of leukemia rate is highest in affluent areas, where medical help can be afforded and lowest among poorer people.
• City living is depressing. It is also unhealthful. The carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, ozone, and other photochemical pollutants in city smog definitely cause cancer of the lungs. Smog is somewhat present in rural areas, but the thickest in the cities where it is especially produced.
• Automobile exhausts and phosphate fertilizers produce cadmium. This trace mineral is very toxic in larger amounts and produces various diseases, including cancer. Cadmium is concentrated in animal livers and shellfish. Avoid both of them.
What about sunlights? Nearly all physicians and nutritionists agree today that sunlight is harmful, even dangerous. But is this really true?
• It is not easy to arrive at clear-cut answers in this debate, but certain facts should be mentioned:
• First, some sunlight on your skin is extremely important as a purifying agent. An entire book has been written about the physical benefits of obtaining some sunlight on your body.
• Second, you need some sunlight in order to obtain enough vitamin D for your bones. The oils just below the surface layers of skin are irradiated by sunlight and vitamin D is produced.
• Third, the author of that special book, Sunlight, by Zane Kime, M.D., is the recognized world authority on the subject—and in a special section on cancer, he provides 25 pages of detailed information about suntans in relation to skin cancer.
• Kime declares that sunlight does not cause skin cancer, if the diet is correct! Here, briefly, are several of his points:
• Sunlight can change cholesterol near the skin surface into free radicals, which can cause cancer. But a good diet will eliminate the free radicals.
• A high-fat diet increases the likelihood of skin cancer. This includes too much oil of any kind in the diet—grease, hydrogenated oil, trans-fat, and vegetable oil.
• Trans-fat (fat which is not polyunsaturated) stops oxygen utilization by the cell, and leads to cancer. Liquid vegetable oil can be up to 6% trans-fat, margarines up to 54%, and solid shortening up to 58%.
• If you are on a low-fat diet, sunlight hitting your skin actually inhibits cancer.
Our actual daily protein requirement is 20-30 grams a day, but many eat over 100 a day. Almonds, well-chewed, are a good protein source for those recovering from cancer. Brewer's yeast is also.
• Proteins should be in the form of seeds and nuts. Almonds are excellent, so are sesame and sunflower seeds. Chew them well. Eat 10 raw almonds daily. They are high in laetrile, an anticancer agent (although not as high as apricot seeds).
• Do not eat peanuts. Limit, but do not eliminate soybean products. Soybeans contain enzyme
inhibitors, so are not the best until you are well.
• Eat all concentrated protein at only two meals (breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner). Do not eat them at the third meal. In this way there are no proteins being digested for a 15-hour period, and the pancreatic enzymes are able to focus their attention on digesting cancer cells present in everyone.
• Overeating on protein leaves no extra pancreatic enzymes to digest cancer cells throughout the body.
• Make sure you have enough hydrochloric acid, so the protein you do eat is being properly absorbed.
Avoid meat in all forms. It is dead matter, low in minerals, and produces uric acid in excess which is a waste product. The incidence of cancer is in direct proportion to the amount of animal proteins, particularly meat, in the diet.
• However it is true that devitalized, processed, and sugared food can also cause cancer—even in vegetarians. But far more often, when cancer strikes, those eating the junk foods are also eating meat.
• Nations and groups which consume less meat have less cancer. Hospital records show that Seventh-day Adventists, who eat little or no meat, suffer far less from cancer than the average meat-eating American.
Dr. Willard J. Visek, research scientist at Cornell University, stated that the high protein diet of
Americans is linked to the high incidence of cancer in the U.S.
• Another cancer physician, who also worked with hundreds of cancer patients, said that anyone who does not eat meat, eats only good food, and does all he can to protect his liver, may never get cancer.
• Cancer is less a disease than a condition existing in the whole body. Cancer would be almost unheard of if no devitalized food or meats were eaten. Cancer cannot exist where there is a pure bloodstream.
Do not eat animal protein. Never eat luncheon meat, hot dogs, or smoked or cured meats. Restrict consumption of dairy products.
• Milk and milk products are harmful, so they should be avoided. Milk contains a growth hormone for growing calves large in a few weeks and months. It will stimulate tumor growth. The pasteurization of milk destroys the phosphatase enzyme needed for assimilation, and many allergies and digestive problems result. Calves fed on pasteurized milk die of heart attacks in 8 months, yet we still give it to our children.
• The synthetic vitamin D added to milk is one of the most toxic food additives known. Some of it
unites with undigested calcium, forming calcified deposits which can be focal points for developing tumors.
• Those with cancer should not use milk, with the possible exception of two tablespoons of yogurt daily.
• Eggs can cause cancer. Many chickens die of carcinoma (cancer). It is known that the cancer germ can pass from the chicken into the egg.
Keep the weight down. Obesity is another factor linked to cancer, especially in women. Overweight women more frequently have cancer of the uterus, and do not recover as easily from breast cancer.
• Accumulated fatty tissue in the body affects female hormones. The more that is present, the more estrogen is produced and converted into a special type of endocrine substance which stimulates cells to divide in the breast and reproductive system. Overweight men and women are more likely to develop cancer.
• A high-fat diet dramatically increases the occurrence of colon, breast, endometrium, and ovarian cancer, as compared with a low-fat diet. Eating a lot of fat encourages the development of cancer in both men and women. Colon cancer is more likely to occur in men.
• Those who eat the most saturated fat are twice as likely to develop polyps.
• Dr. Ott Warburg, made that discovery in the 1920s. He demonstrated that the metabolism of cancerous tissue differs radically from that of normal tissue. A regular cell is nourished by oxygen which it uses to break down nutriments; without oxygen it dies. But a cancer cell lives by using chemicals to break down nutriments—not oxygen—and needs little or no oxygen to exist. The tumor, being a parasite, has a restricted circulation of blood, sometimes as low as 2% of normal, hence it lives on fermentation of sugar, like a plant or fungus, instead of oxygen. Later experiments by Warburg revealed that normal living tissue will become cancerous, if deprived of oxygen. It was this research which brought Warburg the Nobel Prize.
• Since the blood provides the cells with oxygen, Warburg concluded that the condition of the
bloodstream played an important part in the development of cancer. This is substantiated by the fact that malignant tumors are frequently found near scars, at the sides of ulcers, in atrophied organs, or wherever the blood supply is poor.
• Rancid oils and heavy protein diets thicken the blood, and weaken its ability to transport food and oxygen to the cells.
• Unlike other cells, cancer cells do not need oxygen. Rancid oils and fats are dangerous, for they decrease oxygenation and weaken normal cells while strengthening cancerous ones.
• Rancid food and oils are unsafe and can produce cancer. Even health foods which have been on the shelf (not refrigerated) for too long can be rancid. Try to make sure that the wheat germ, wheat germ oil, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flaxseed oil, and whole wheat flour are fresh. Natural, unprocessed foods are extremely perishable. Refrigerate as soon as possible after purchasing them.
Wheat germ is a special problem; it turns rancid a week after it is made. Vitamins E, A, and F are
totally destroyed in rancid foods. During the process of turning rancid, very harmful chemicals, such as peroxides, are produced. Because they are strong chemical irritants, after being ingested they can cause cancer. Research on this was done in Germany by Dr. H. Anemueller, and, in the University of Pennsylvania, by Drs. Rownee and Barrett.
• Heated fats (animal or vegetable), when heated to a high temperature, become carcinogenic. Never fry food, never eat fried food. Instead add no oil to your cooking, but place measured amounts on your food after it is served at the table. In this way, you will be better able to control your oil intake.
• Oil in the coffee bean turns rancid when heated; do not drink coffee because of that and several other reasons. Coffee has been shown to produce cancer of the bladder.
As noted elsewhere, do not use dairy products, fried foods, heavy starches, or high protein foods.
Keep the diet simple and use cleansing foods.
* Rats fed simple, natural food were far less likely to develop cancer than rats fed "purified" foods (i..e, processed foods).
• Do not eat tainted or partly-spoiled food: fruits, vegetables, grains, etc. Definitely do not eat spoiled protein foods (such as nuts)!
Modern food processing, canning, and cooking destroys enzymes vital to digestion and body needs. When food is heated to 106o F., some of these enzymes are damaged; many are destroyed when 120o F. is reached. Try to keep foods, which have been subjected to heat, to below 25% of the diet. Too much cooked foods throw an extra burden on the pancreas. It must try to produce additional enzymes to detoxify that cooked food, which tries to produce a normal output of the same enzymes used throughout the body to destroy cancer cells.
• When you do cook, measure the water and keep track of the time needed to cook the food—so that you will know exactly when to turn off the fire, and there is only a very small amount of water remaining in the pot. Then be sure and drink that water.
• It has been reported that cancer which has been controlled, starts returning if over 25% of the food is cooked and processed. This is probably due to the extra demand on the pancreas to replace enzymes destroyed by heat. This paragraph is worth remembering later on.
• Cook all sprouts slightly to eliminate a certain enzyme. But do not heat alfalfa sprouts; eat them raw.
Eliminate fats, salted foods, fried foods, smoked foods, pickles, soft drinks, caffeine, alcohol,
chocolate, and all processed, fried, and junk foods from the diet.
• A high alcohol and/or caffeine intake is cause of breast cancer. The use of alcohol or tobacco leads to cancer of the larynx. Smokeless tobacco produces cancer of the lip, mouth, tongue, and throat. Smoking cigarettes or cigars produces lung cancer and is a factor in bladder and kidney cancer.
• Do not eat too much salt. Research in Japan disclosed that the frequency of stomach cancer is
definitely related to the quantity of salt eaten.
• Caffeine also interferes with production of those enzymes.
• Cancerous tumors require sugar in order to grow. Older women who use generous amounts of sugar are much more likely to contract breast cancer. Do not use any cane sugar products, such as cake, pie, jelly, ice cream, candy, etc.
• In animal studies, progressive increase in sucrose in the diet leads to a dose-dependent decline in antibody production.
• An epidemiological study of 21 countries revealed that high sugar intake is a major risk factor toward breast cancer.
• Artificial sweeteners are cancer-causing drugs.
• Do not use China tea (the regular tea you buy in the grocery store); it contains tannic acid. Only use herbal teas.
• Some natural-remedy cancer therapists say never use tomatoes at all, if you have cancer. There is something about tomatoes that tend to aggravate the situation for those with active cancer.
• Others say that those with cancer can eat tomatoes by themselves, not with other foods. Some say it is all right to make a meal of them if you wish—eaten alone. Some say they can be eaten with fresh-baked zwieback (bread which has then been toasted in the oven until it is hard and chewy). Probably the best decision is avoid tomatoes entirely if you have a malignancy.
• Do not take supplemental iron tablets. The body tries to withhold iron from cancer cells, because the inorganic iron helps the cancer grow. People with excess iron levels in the blood tend to have an
increased risk of developing cancer, according to the New England Journal of Medicine. Excess iron suppresses the cancer-killing function of the macrophages and interfere with T- and B-cell activity. The richest source of good iron is blackstrap molasses.
• Cancer thrives on glucose. They produce a 3- to 5-fold increase in glucose uptake compared to healthy cells. Studies of cancer patients revealed that they tended to eat more sugar than healthy people. It was also found that high sugar intake increases the likelihood breast cancer.
• Simple sugars (glucose, fructose, sucrose [white sugar]) honey, and orange juice significantly
impaired the capacity of neutrophils to engulf bacteria, but starch ingestion did not have this effect. However, you still need simple sugars, so eat them in moderation.
The average Westerner eats 1,500 pounds of food per year. The food we eat is an important factor in health or degeneration. Only nutritious foods should be eaten, and in moderation.
• Overeating is associated in 35% of all cancers.
• One group of mice were allowed to eat as much as they wanted (about 3 g per day); the other was restricted to 2 g. Over half the mice on the unrestricted diet developed cancer after 90 weeks. Later experiments repeated this result, producing all types of tumors (lung, liver, skin, etc.). In every
experiment, the more the diet is restricted in calories, the less incidence of cancerous growths.
• Carotenoids and bioflavonoids are both free radical protectors. Both stimulate the immune system, while there is evidence that carotenoids may be directly toxic to tumor cells. Carotenoids are the yellow coloring matter in green and yellow vegetables. Deep green leafy vegetables and fresh carrot juice are the best sources. Bioflavonoids are found in citrus, whole grains, honey, and other plant foods.
• Animals fed cruciferous vegetables had markedly lower cancer rates matched controls. This family of vegetables includes broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, and cauliflower. Of them, broccoli has been found to be the best. Since that 1970 discovery the University of Minnesota, the active ingredient, called indoles, have been isolated from the vegetables is provides unusual protection against cancer. Scientists at Johns Hopkins found that lab animals fed cruciferous vegetables, and then exposed to the deadly carcinogen aflatoxin, had a 90 percent reduction in cancer rates.
• Greens and the green foods have every known vitamin, except Vitamin D and, possibly, B12. In
addition, they have high levels of beta-carotene, potassium, glutathione (an amino acid) and other crucial nutrients which reduce tumor growth.
• A diet high in beta-carotene, especially beta-carotene, has been found to protect against cancer
(International Journal of Cancer, September 1984).
• Green powders, such as Greenlife, Barley Green, etc., are invaluable. Eat a spoonful with your food or in juice.
• Emphasize raw food to the degree you are able to do so. It is best that most of the food be raw,
especially fruits and green leafy vegetables.
• Phytosterols are natural chemicals in plants which reduce the risk of colon cancer.
• Abscisic acid is a plant dormancy hormone and vitamin A analog found in plants; it has profound anticancer activity. Abscisic acid is a carotenoid factor and is especially found in green leafy vegetables.
• While cleaning the body (such as during a fast), breakfast can consist of fresh fruit and fruit juices. Use lemon, orange, grape, carrot, beet, and apple juice daily. All juices should be fresh, with no sugar added.
• But in other foods, a small amount of blackstrap molasses, pure maple syrup, or honey can act as a natural sweetener in place of sugar.
• Use whole wheat or rye in place of white flour. Whole grain products, well-baked, are good. Do not use sourdough bread, sugared bread, or fruit breads. They are too indigestible.
• Raw fruit and vegetables are best; lightly cooked or steamed are second best. Salt-free frozen are next. Then comes salt-free canned; but such food should only be used if the first three choices are not available.
• Raw fruit and vegetable juices are needed to clean the system and help rebuild it. Use red beet juice
(from roots and very little if any from tops) and juice from carrots, celery, grapes, and other
darker vegetables and fruits, such as black cherries, black currants, etc.
• Fruit juices are best taken in the morning and vegetable juices in the afternoon and evening.
• Drink spring or steam-distilled water only!
• Dr. Hans Nieper, a cancer researcher, uses fresh raw cabbage and carrot juice with excellent results.
• Some recommend four 8-ounce glasses of freshly squeezed juice daily. Max Gerson, M.D., prescribed 13 glassfuls a day. Along with a scientific program of other remedies, that juice pattern is still followed today at the Gerson Institute in northern Mexico.
• Never mix fruit and vegetable juices in the same meal. It is all right to mix vegetables juices
together, but do not mix fruit juices (orange, grapefruit, pineapple, lemon, or grape). Some (including the Gerson Institute) recommend a combination of carrot and apple juice.
• Fresh lemon juice should be squeezed on all greens, salads, or lettuce that are eaten. This enables the calcium and minerals to be better absorbed by the system. Dark green vegetables are better than lightcolored lettuce.
• Lecithin should be included in the diet to keep cholesterol in the blood stream emulsified (so it does not harden on the walls). This will improve blood circulation to the site of the tumor. Lecithin helps regulate metabolism, break down fat and cholesterol, and prevent malignancies.
• Wheat germ oil is an extremely rich source of vitamin E, and should be taken daily. Only use coldpressed (Viobin), and keep it refrigerated until you are ready to use it during the meal.
• Omega-3 fatty acids may inhibit cancers, especially breast cancer (Cancer, October 1986). Flaxseed oil is, by far, the best source!
• According to a 1988 medical article (British Journal of Surgery), eating an adequate amount of
essential fatty acids helps protect the body against skin cancer. It even helps eliminate them, once they form.
• Take a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses at the end of the vegetable meal. This will provide additional amounts of iron, calcium, and important B vitamins.
• Never eat fruit and vegetables at the same meals. Exception: lemon juice can be squeezed over
greens to help you better absorb and calcium and minerals in those greens.
• Use plenty of soaked figs, prunes and raisins.
• Eat garlic daily. Studies done in Japan suggest that taking garlic supplements may help reduce the size of tumors. It has been used for medicinal purposes for 4,000 years.
• Garlic is a faithful standby, and protects against cancer in general (Acta Unio. Intern. Contra
Cancrum, 20 no. 3, 1964). Cut a thin slice of garlic and carefully tape it over, what you consider might be, a skin cancer. Try to avoid contact of the garlic on good skin. (If it does, the skin will redden and burn somewhat.) Russian research from back in the 1950s revealed that garlic is more powerful than antibiotics in destroying bacteria. It also causes moles and skin cancers to fall off.
Put the garlic on in the morning, take it off and carefully wash the area in the evening before bedtime.
Put on a new application. Remove it in the morning, and repeat the process. Do this for about 3 days.
The mole or ulcer will dissolve and slough off. Let the area heal. If part of it remains, repeat the process at a later time.
If you keep applying the garlic for more than 4 days, it will begin burning deeper into the skin (you will know, because the area will become very painful.) Such deep burning is not necessary to slough off the cancer, and could be harmful.
• Be sure to incorporate dietary fiber in each regular meal.
• Fiber in the diet helps maintain regularity and avoid colon cancer. But it also helps the colon absorb toxins and carry it out of the body. This is important. Be sure to eat at least 3 tablespoons of bran at each regular (non-juice only) meal.
• Try to have a vegetable, fruit, and berry garden of your own, using natural fertilizers, seaweed, etc.
You are what you eat. Purchase food where organically-grown food is sold.
• We do not generally think of mushrooms as the best food, for they are in the fungus family. But it has been found that three types (Reishi, Shiitake, and Maitake mushrooms) have decided anti-cancer
factors. Oral extract of Maitake provided complete elimination of tumors in 40% of test animals, while the remaining 60% had a 90% of their cancers eliminated. Maitake contains a polysaccharide, called beta-glucan, which stimulates the immune system and even lowers blood pressure.
• Legumes and seed foods (such as soybeans) have protease inhibitors (PI). These tend to protect the seeds from being digested. As such, they were thought to be a problem. But recently it has been
discovered that they tend to reduce tumor growth. The National Cancer Institute that some of these substances (isoflavones and phytoestrogens) have potent anti-cancer properties. However, eating a lot of beans is not something you will want to do at home! Too much protein helps feed the cancer cells.
• Certain other foods show an ability to slow tumor growth in some way. This includes apples, apricots, barley, citrus fruit, cranberries, fiber, figs, ginger, spinach, and seaweed.
• There are a variety of digestive enzymes. Take them with a meal to improve digestion, or on an empty stomach if the need is to help fight cancer (first thing in the morning, an hour before breakfast; or the last thing at night, at least two hours after supper.)
• Rice bran, pressure cooked, is rich in tocotrienols. (2-3 tablespoons a day).
• Aloe vera extract (or, better, fresh aloe vera leaves) contains the active immune stimulant ace mannan.
• Scientists have found that the active culture of bacteria in yogurt (lactobacillus) can fortify the
immune system. In both humans and animals, yogurt in the diet tripled the internal production of
interferon, a powerful chemical compound used by the immune system against cancer cells. It also slows the level of natural killer cells. Yogurt slows the growth of tumor cells in the gastro-intestinal tract, while improving the ability of the immune system to destroy active tumor cells. It also helps block the production of carcinogenic agents in the colon. Women eating yogurt were found to have less breast
cancer. It is well-known that milk is one of the worst allergenic foods, and can carry disease germs from the cows. So you would do well to obtain lactobacillus cultures from health food stores, rather than eating yogurt.
• Other intestinal microflora products can be used, instead of yogurt (which can be allergenic and contain cow diseases). Some broad spectrum products contain lactobacillus, bifidus, streptococcus faecium. Others contain only lactobacillus, which is milk- and yogurt-free.
You should be aware of the fact that, by the time symptoms of pain accompany cancer, it is in the advanced stages. At that point, the body urgently needs good nourishment, as well as cleansing; it should not be given fasts. For further information on this, see the Gerson Therapy, later in this book.
But, as a cancer preventative, occasional fasting is helpful. Cancer prevention is theme of this entire Part One section of this book.
• Fasts on fruit and vegetable juices of 1 to 3 days can be taken. If under the care of someone who knows what to do, and you are not thin, a longer fast may be undertaken.
• Go on a fresh fruit diet for several days. If the patient is thin, after a few days of fruit diet, give him an alkaline nourishing diet. This would consist of vegetable broth (simmer thick potato peelings, carrots, and beets; strain; drink the water on top), mashed half-inch thick potato peelings, brown rice, carrots, greens of all kinds, red cabbage, parsley, and other vegetables.
• Eating good food treats malnutrition, and many people develop cancer because of a lack of the
protective, nourishing food needed to resist it.
• There is a theory that you can starve cancer to death. This has been proven untrue. Cancer does better in a malnourished body. One study revealed that pure malnutrition (cachexia) is responsible for at least 22% and up to 75% of all cancer deaths.