Dependence on, and addiction to, alcoholic beverages. Depression; blackouts; hangovers; vehicle, and other, arrests; ulcers; emotional problems; flushing of the face; forgetfulness; heart palpitation; indigestion; insomnia; urinary problems; hepatitis; hypertension; divorce; hard drugs; and numbness in the extremities.
Alcohol is absorbed directly through the walls of the stomach, without digestion. It then travels in the bloodstream to every cell in the body, where it extracts water. This weakens or kills cells. The effect on the liver, brain, and vital organs is especially damaging. Most alcoholics are either hypoglycemic or borderline diabetics. In addition, alcohol produces severe nutritional deficiencies. The body thinks it is well-fed (alcohol contains 70 calories per ounce), when it is being slowly starved. The liver slowly breaks the alcohol down to sugar. Eventually the difficult task weakens this vital organ, and fatty liver degeneration begins. Scar tissue develops; the experts call it cirrhosis. Alcohol is deceptive: It makes a person feel happy when he is miserable, and makes him feel strong when he is weak. It ruins his liver, destroys his marriage, hurts his children, eliminates his employment, and makes a bum out of him. The liquor industry should be closed down.
• Stop drinking alcohol entirely. Begin eating very nutritious food. Vitamins A, B complex, C, D, and K are needed, in addition to zinc, iron, potassium, calcium, essential fatty acids, bioflavonoids, and adequate protein. Sea kelp is important, to help the thyroid.
• Certain foods increase the craving for alcohol in those who indulge in it. These include milk, wheat, corn products, chocolate, and sugar.
• After going off alcohol, do not substitute large amounts of sugar products and strong coffee. Sugar only increases the hypoglycemic problem. Nourish the system with good food; do not sugarize it.
• The alcoholic craves potassium. A tablespoonful of honey, to take the place of a beer, supplies some of the potassium which has been depleted by the alcohol. Also high in potassium is potato peel soup. The peelings should be about a half inch thick; discard the rest of the potatoes. Cover with water, cook well, then blend and add a little salt. He should eat it often with his meals.
• A teaspoon of 50-50 powdered charcoal and honey will help sober up a drunk person.
• People who regularly eat good nourishing food are less likely to crave stimulants or addictive substances. Especially eat raw fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Meat eating will bring back the craving for alcohol, so quit meat.
• Slippery elm is also good to drink while going off alcohol.
• Quassia chips help destroy the taste for liquor. Put 1 teaspoon in a cup of boiled water, steep a half hour, covered. Take a swallow every 2 hours. Stay with someone, so you will not be tempted to go out and buy more of the cursed stuff.